Youth Opportunity Investments – Jobs in Nashville
Location of the Facility
- The facility is located at 100 Woodland Street in Nashville, Tennessee.
- The facility opened at its current location in 1994.
- The Detention Center is operated by Youth Opportunity Investments.
Contact the Facility
Facility Size and Make-Up
- The rated capacity is 86 beds
- Both males and females are housed in the facility.
- The facility serves pre-adjudicated individuals awaiting trial or transfer to another facility.
- Approximately 400 juveniles are booked at the facility monthly. Of those, approximately 130 are detained.
- During the first 24 hours the individual is seen by a Nurse, Case Manager, Teacher’s Aid and the Facility Chaplain.
- Medical staff includes a Physician, contract Licensed Clinical Counselor, contract Psychiatrist, Nursing Supervisor, RN’s and LPN’s.
- The Medical Department is open 16 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- Upon arrival, all detainable juveniles are screened by the medical staff for medical and dental problems. Detainees that will remain for a longer period of time will be given a physical exam within the first 14 days of detention.
- Nashville General Hospital is used for emergency hospital services. Matthew Walker Comprehensive Health Center is used for dental services.
- The Assistant Superintendent of Programs oversees all programs at the facility. The facility has a vast array of programs that are broken down into three categories: Education, Case Management and Religious Services. Restorative Arts (music, dance, art, theatre), Culinary Arts, Cosmetology and Vocational programs are a few examples of activities available to youth.
- The facility has a full time Chaplain that is assigned to the facility by one of the local churches.
- The Education Department is staffed by a Principal, three full time regular education teachers, one full time special education teacher and two teacher’s aides. One of the three regular teachers also serves as the facility’s recreation specialist.
- Individuals attend school the same amount of hours as regular Metro Nashville Schools, (6 hours per day). All grades received in detention are transferable to Metro Nashville Schools. GED preparation courses are also available. Also, the Detention Center School is an approved school through the Tennessee State Board of Education.
- The Case-Management Department is staffed by two full-time case-managers 7 days a week. The Compliance Manager serves as the facility accreditation coordinator.
- The program staff conducts bi-weekly long-term assessment meetings for the individuals that have been housed at the facility for ten days or more.
- Program Planning Meetings are held monthly.
- The facility is required by contract to maintain a 1/8 ratio of staff to individuals, on first and second shift and a 1/16 ratio on third shift. The facility has 79 direct care staff and 19 support staff.
- The facility has four living areas.
- Individuals are provided with three hot meals per day and are given a snack at night.
- Special and religious diets are provided as necessary.
- There is a garden, basketball court, weight room and a multi-purpose area for other activities.